Thursday, June 24, 2010

Unofficial Wedding Plans -- Part 1

2 months, 23 days till my wedding.

Mind you, a wedding that has absolutely no deposits set down, no officiates notified, etc. I know where I want it to take place, (a stone castle-looking mansion, with includes the beautiful low-stone walled gardens, the main ballroom for the reception, and this gorgeous, Victorian-styled sitting room with full length mirrors, makeup tables, a fireplace, etc.

I attend a very contemporary church, not much in the way of looks as far as beautiful, Gothic architecture, etc. so I am probably just renting an altar for communion and a cross. My plan is to set up an area of the ballroom as a sanctuary where we will say our vows. I will decorate the cross with white roses and ribbon, and probably have some sort of archway type thing as well, maybe those imitation stone columns.



Because we have no money, I will have to book it for a Friday day (be out by 4pm) and last year they told me that was a highly unusual thing and it probably wouldn't be booked -- it's only 800 for a weekday. Since DF's father is a probitionist, there won't be any drinking (except for wines), so it's not like I would have one of those long into the night, drinking and dancing wedding anyway.

However, I am going to have an after-party. I only thought of this last week (been planning the wedding for a year): bowling.

Ok, it's different, and it's not like I'm good at the game.....but:

There's a bar, so people can drink (of their own accord). There's pizza (my reception will be light Italian fair, so ppl will be hungry by then). And I will buy the first round of lanes, pizza, soda, etc. (low 100's,). And around 10, the lights go down, the colored strobes come out, and it's more like a night club setting.

Not exactly traditional, I realize, but it's the best I can do.

So anyway, other than needing to book the mansion, I need

A caterer. I haven't decided if I'm going to just buy food somewhere and have friends cook it (pay church ppl to cook it, or if I can order out and set up a nice looking buffet, or what. I'd love to hire butlers but don't think that's going t happen, but either way, it's just going to be a light reception, with Italian food (to justify the wine, lol).

A string quartet. Since know one is going to be smashed or doing the chicken, etc and since the original plan was to have a full-fledged, medieval, fantasy fairytale wedding, I am still trying to incorporate some of that in. Thus, I am skipping a DJ (they play the latest dance pop at the bowling alley anyway), and wish to hire a string quartet to play not just the usual waltz's but the themes from many Disney princess movies, particularly Sleeping Beauty and Snow White.

A photographer. This is as important to me as the mansion itself. They go hand in hand. I'm suffered with severe body image issues since I was 14. I feel like I've spent 17 years trying to lose weight and feel good about myself, and I've dreamed about finding my prince, being beautiful, and feeling like a princess. And I want a million different bridal-magazine posed shots. The grounds at this mansion are out-of-this world. You feel like you've stepped back in time, into an English countryside where the Duke of so-and-so lives. Garden after garden, a gazebo, stone galleries and balconies and steps leading from one to the other and trees and a pond and black wrought iron, and if you're not salivating, I'll never be able to explain it. I am tearing up as I type, it's the most beautiful place I've ever seen and IF I can lose the weight, I WILL look like a princess, because........

...see the next post:

No comments:

Post a Comment