Friday, April 22, 2011

Experiment: Starvation Mode -- Fact or Fiction?

So we've all heard of starvation mode. Oh, you're not losing? You must be eating to little. Eat more and you'll lose weight. Um....

So I did a little research. It turns out that the term starvation mode comes from a Minnosota study of NORMAL weight males who ate 50% of their bodies' required calories. They lost almost all their fat, and looked like anorexics or concentration camp victims. Their metabolism started to slow, and their bodies started using muscle for energy. A bad thing, as that will eventually lead to burning your heart muscle, further metabolism slowing, and eventually death.

But, and this is a big but.....all these things started happening when they ran out of fat stores, which they didn't have much of to begin with because they were at normal/healthy levels to begin with.

This is why obese people who go on VLCD (very low calorie diets, think medifast) lose a bunch of fat. Your body's FIRST choice of fuel when food is not available is the existing fat stores -- that's why the body stored it if it was given excess.

So, I am neither normal weight or obese. I have about 20 - 30 pounds of fat to lose. (I'm not sure whether 20 will give me the look I am for. I would like to see some bones. Not sticking out or anything, but it would be nice to see my clavicle, shoulder blades,  etc -- you know, definition, rather than flat expanses of flesh with no definition.)

So I've decided to eat around 700 - 800 calories a day. GASP!!! Not under the mandatory 1200 they say you must NEVER go under!

Yea. Under 1200.

And it's low fat. And it's low carb.

Oh no!!! Not low carb AND low fat? If you eat low carb you have to eat full fat!

Uh huh. And this is why we continue to get bigger as a nation, not slimmer.

Do you realize "they" don't want us to lose weight? If we did, "they" would be out of business and not raking in the billions that the weight loss industry generates.

So anyway, yes, I am doing an experiment. I want to see if I lose. I want to see how fast. I want to see if I'm tired. If I'm hungry. If my hair starts falling out. If all these horrible things happen to me, or if I just reach my goal weight for the first time in my life.

I'm also going to continue exercising. My goal is to burn 300 -- 700 calories a day. 300 would be my normal 3 miles. 700 would be to simulate not eating anything at all. (700 calories eaten, 700 calories consumed.) I am curious to see what the scale says after my body has to use 100% stored fat as energy for the day. (Yes, I get on the scale every morning, another diet "no-no".)

I want to challenge the rules. I want to see if they are myths. I do not want to jepordize my health, but I am curious. If the body turns to stored fat first, and only turns to muscle AFTER that is used up, then I have nothing to lose....except the weight. :)

I've done Atkins for the last 3 months. Even on the weekends that I kept my carbs under 80 (to stay in Ketosis, I was doing under 20 for the week), my weight would go up 6 - 8 pounds by Monday morning, and all I lost was the same water weight I had lost the previous week. (Carbs retain water).

So....I'm now eating around 40-60 grams of carbs all week/weekend and my weight isn't fluctuating as much (only about 2-3 pounds). And by the following Friday, I am actually seeing a loss from the previous Friday.

If my metabolism slows, I will (should notice). It will manifest in fatigue. I shouldn't be able to maintain my workouts, I will feel dizzy etc. However, if I don't feel any of these things, I can only assume it's not slowing, and that my body is using its stored fat. Which is precisely what I want it to do.

And by the way, I lost 5 pounds Friday morning, weighing in on home scale at 145. And that was after 3 months of the scale not budging below 150. And I ate carbs -- so it's NOT water weight. I don't expect to lose 5 pounds each week. My goal is 2. If I lose 3, I'll be a "starvation mode" dieter supporter for life. I don't consistently lose 2 pounds each week. I've dieted EVERY year of my life for the last 19 years. I've never actually tried "starving". I've done everything, Atkins, Slim Fast, Low-Fat, High-Carb, etc., etc., etc. But except for the occasional 1000 calorie, and the occasional I'm-so-fat-and-disgusting-looking-I'm-not-going-to-eat-anything-500-calorie-a-day week every few years, I've rarely went below the prescribed 1200.

I will continue reporting my weight loss (or slow/stop/gain) here, so I can be your Guinea pig if you'd like. I will report on any fatigue, dizziness, lack of ability to exercise, etc. And if there are any adverse effects, obviously I will just go back to eating my full points (29 -- Weight Watchers) and use exercise to reach my goal -- the only way I ever consistently lose weight -- roughly 1 - 2 pounds a week. Yes, I know, the "healthy" way.

Hey, it "they" are right, I'll be the first to say so. But dropping below 1200 calories for a few weeks to find out isn't gonna kill me! 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment