Monday, April 18, 2011

Back in the Game

Summer's coming and I've finally got over this emotional hump that actually had me parked outside the gym either sleeping or reading in my car for 2 hours. (I've 2 hours between dropping my son off at school and before work....home is a 30 mile commute so that wasn't an option). The gym (Bally's), my work, and my son's school are all on different corners of the same intersection.

Why did I just sit in my car? That's hard to explain. One, the pop music videos on the line of TV's above the treadmills and ellipticals. I find them very discouraging as I feel (with 20-30 pounds to lose) too far from my goal and as I may as well give up. And two, I hate exercising indoors. If I'm gonna walk/jog/run, I want to be outside, feeling my feet pump the pavement, feeling the wind in my face, feel like I'm actually going somewhere, rather than staying in one place.

So I kept telling myself (all Jan, Feb, & Mar) that as soon as the weather got warmer, I would work out at the track down the street. (5 miles around = 1 mile. Last year I would do 10 or 15 laps.) I kept telling myself this, while a part of me was like, no you won't....you'll sit here in your car and say it's too hot, or you're tired, or you'll never get thin anyway....

But amazing, I started. The very first day it wasn't freezing! And I've been there every work/school day since. Sometimes I've walked/jogged there for 3 miles, and then after work stopped by my local gym (Planet Fitness), where my son works out with me (age 13).

There's also a paved 2.6 mile track up the street from my house (which I've gone too after work, even if I went to the other track. Somedays I've even done all three -- track, gym, other track). And I figured out that 2x around my complex equals alittle over a mile, so I've done that too.

Don't know if I'm making up for lost time or what, but I've been at this since the last week in March. And going strong.

If you think that's a miracle....wait to hear about my eating habits tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment